HTML Map

Friday, January 29, 2010

Ocean of Chaos...

It has been such a roller coaster ride the past week with our sweet canine Lacy. I would give anything to be able to just take this dog myself, but that unfortunately cannot happen. Last weekend, my Mom came in town bringing along "Little D" her sweet golden from home in Kentucky. Little D loved coming to Atlanta and she is such a cutie pie. She rides in the car just like a person- it's so funny! She loved Lily & Daisy, but they were not so sure about her. Poor Daisy ran underneath the bed meowing the whole way there and Little D followed her to peak under the bed. She loves felines and kept crying when Lily would get close. Poor Little D just wanted to play with the girls, but they did not quite understand that.

All in all we had a very nice time with Mom in town and we headed to Maggiano's for dinner last Friday night. It is one of the best, in my opinion, Italian restaurants here in Atlanta. So yummy! Mom also got to meet Lacy and she absolutely fell in love with her. We took Lacy for a walk on Saturday morning and Mom said that if she didn't have Little D, Indy (family beagle), and Casey (the only feline) she would take Lacy in a minute. If only Lacy was not dog aggressive.


Mom and Lacy after our walk sans make-up!

On Sunday morning after Mom and Little D left, I took Lacy for a very long walk because it was supposed to rain the rest of the day and I thought Lacy needed to expend some energy. Well about halfway through our walk, I felt a car pull up to us and stop. Now, I make sure that when I walk I always have my cell phone with me just in case of emergency, but on this morning I didn't think anything about it because it was so misty and figured I didn't need it. Anyway, as the car pulled up to me I looked over and saw a black woman saying some funky name to Lacy. I stopped and ask her what she needed and she said some nasty expletives to me saying, "That's my dog, expletive." I stopped mid tracks and said, "No, this is our dog, she's a rescue" upon which time I kept walking but felt this woman following me. She was driving in the direction Lacy and I were walking and she turned her car around in the middle of this busy road and jumped out and tried to attack me and steal Lacy claiming that I stole her dog. Seriously, me stealing a dog = yeah right. Anyway, I can't even write about it in detail because it was so awful and frightening. Poor Lacy was scared to death and cowering behind me and I was basically chewing this woman out and I finally told her that if she touched me, I was calling 911. Needless to say at that point, she got back in her car WITH her kids and drove off. No one stopped to help or do anything. I was a wreck to say the least.

So after getting accosted, I know carry pepper spray with me and always have my cell phone in hand. I took Lacy to the vet yesterday for her booster shots and our vet is just a gem. God love her for all she's done for Lacy and giving us a cut on the costs. Dr. Levinson told me that with pits, there are many classes of people who want these pits for the wrong reason (dogfighting) and you just have to be so careful. Obviously: don't walk her at night, always carry pepper spray, etc., etc. So needless to say it's been a whirlwind of a week getting her back on schedule and then to add to the fact that she jumps her fence twenty times trying to get out to follow me home. It just breaks my heart because I want to just take her in, but I can't. I'm also trying to get the owner, Elizabeth, to sign all our documents which surrender Lacy to us for all her upcoming medical procedures (surgery-spay) and that is an issue in itself. Elizabeth's house was broken in to on the Friday night my mom came in town, so she hasn't been back yet. It's enough to make your head swim!

On a positive note though, my sweet Aunt Karen (who is a scientist at the CDC here in Atlanta) placed Lacy's picture and story up on their listserve and I received an email this morning from a lady that is interested in Lacy. Thank you Karen!!! We're hoping that it all could possibly work out. Thank you God and thank you Karen for all you've done!! I prayed more last night for little Lacy and a potential home than I have in a long time. One of the ladies Jeff works with, Becky, also sent us a large bag of dog food and large bones for Lacy. She is a gem- thank you SO much Becky!!

I've also contacted Brandon Bond who is a well-known tattoo artist here in Atlanta that is the founder of Atlanta Pit Bull Rescue here in Atlanta. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying hard that they could take Lacy. He took in a couple of the Vick dogs. Please see his video below. Keep Lacy in your prayers for finding a good home!



Lastly, here is a sweet picture of Little D and my golden Dixie from last weekend. Golden love....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just stumbled across your blog and read your whole Lacy story! I cannot believe all of this. But, as a complete dog lover, thank you so much for all that you are doing to help Lacy and to find her a loving home. It just breaks my heart to pieces that so many dogs aren't lucky enough to find someone to love them and help them. And I can't believe your run in with that lady!! Oh my word. I am so glad you were ok and that she didn't get away with Lacy. I sure hope it works out with the lady who e-mailed you today!! Best of luck!