HTML Map

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Newfound Running Buddy

Well Miss Lacy is officially attached to me at the hip every night after I head over to Jeff's to take her for either a long run or walk. I basically switch off every night between running/walking. I knew from the beginning that she needed lots of exercise and our vet, Dr. Levinson, told us as well that exercising Lacy is one of the best outlets for her physical health as well as teaching her how to become socialized in the outside world. So, I have been running/walking her every night for the last week and she is doing GREAT!

She honestly is one of the smartest dogs I've ever met in my life and picks up on new commands instantly. On Sunday night, I had just gotten off the phone with my best friend from home, Kali, and I heard knocking on the door. Dixie who is spoiled like no other, was sitting on the couch and began to bark. So I looked out the front windows and no one was in the driveway, but then I heard it again. So I went and opened the door only to find little Lacy smiling up at me. She's so smart, she's jumping her fence and coming to knock on J's door. :) Bless her heart!

The running is great exercise for us both, but let me say that I am sore like non other! I've always been a runner, but trying to keep up with this canine is like trying to run beside a car. She seriously probably can run 20 miles an hour. No joke- it's amazing & I immediately had to head out to Target to buy her a new and sturdy leash after the first night we walked.



Jeff headed down to Florida for his family's annual camping trip last Saturday morning and I was supposed to go, but I just could not bring myself to leave Lacy (even though she still lives in her backyard) for the entire weekend and up until today. I knew I would be worried about her the entire time and it was actually very nice to sit back and relax for one weekend. I ended up staying at Jeff's house the entire time because after trying to bring Dryfus (his german shepherd) over to my house to stay, it didn't work. He continously barked & poor Lily/Daisy thought I'd brought home another animal. So Dixie, Dryfus and I vegged out on the couch and I took Lacy for some nice long walks. It was a great weekend!

Lacy has now decided though that after every walk, she wants to follow me back to Jeff's house, which she inevitably probably believes is my house as well. After I let her through the fence into her yard, she'll jump the fence a hundred times to come sit on his front porch. It absolutely breaks my heart & last night I decided to try to let Dixie (my golden) out to see how they would respond to each other. I had Lacy by the collar and opened the door up slightly so she could see Lacy. Dixie, in pure golden sweetness, was wagging her tail and smiling but as soon as Lacy saw
Dixie, all bets were off. She started growling and I immediately pulled up on the collar and yelled "No" trying to explain now why she cannot come in the house. So we're still working with her and eventually we're going to try to walk Dixie and Lacy next to each other so she can understand that all dogs won't hurt her. You can't blame her though, who would want to live in a backyard all alone?

This rehabilitation is a process and as much as I want to swoop her up into my home and away from all the sadness/neglect she has come to know, I know I can't. She is a pit bull and with this breed comes great responsibility. I'm learning and hopefully in time, she will be able to live among us. On a happier note, I'm taking her back to the vet next week for her booster shots and here are some hilarious pictures of her in the car. That's her new favorite thing-riding in the car. :)


Loving the car...Did not want to get out. :)

No comments: