HTML Map

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dixie Weight Program

Last Friday, I had to take all of my girls into the vet for checkups. Miss Dixie has had a weight problem since I got her a year ago. The people that had her just overindulged her because she was 115 lbs. when I adopted her. Since then, she has gained more weight & is way too big for a golden retriever. However, her bones are so long, that she will be big regardless of the how much weight she can drop. And yes, she has gotten lots of treats & good yummy food over the course of time, but we exercise all the time. I mean. All. The. Time. Three times a day to be exact.

So now Dr. Abercrombie has placed her on Soloxine which is a drug that is used to treat hypothyroidism in dogs. Dixie does not have this, but the drug itself causes the heart rate to increase & essentially speeds up the metabolic rate. I have noticed a significant change in Dixie thus far. She is wanting to walk everywhere, which is great but she also has started acting paranoid & manic. I am hoping this will dissipate as her body's systems get use to the drug. However, if the symptoms increase, we will have to go back in. I'm hoping though that we can lose some significant weight as she would feel so much better! I'll keep track of her progress & show pictures!!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I hope Dixie gets "well" soon. She may run you down with all that energy she probably has now! Ha, Ha! You need to go back to school to become a vet...you are such an animal lover, you would be a natural!

Love & Miss Ya,

Kim