It's not a happy one and definitely not the updates I was planning on giving but sometimes life gets in the way. My oldest golden retriever, Dixie, that I adopted from Adopt A Golden Atlanta six years ago is drawing near to Heaven. When I adopted her she was six years old and had been dumped at a high kill shelter after her owners no longer wanted her. She was scared, confused and mostly wondering what in the world was going on. I had just moved to Atlanta, was working full time and looking for a dog. The vet at the shelter called AGA and I went and picked her up. Needless to say, I was a foster failure and ended up keeping Miss Dixie.
Her first day home.
Within the last month she's been very sick and having hip problems. Here hips are failing and walking, getting up, sitting down and moving around is becoming very problematic. She can hardly walk anymore and she has good days and bad days. So right now we're trying to keep her happy and enjoy the days we have with her.
I firmly believe that animals go to Heaven because we serve such an amazing God. How could they not? I know that when her time does indeed come, the angels will come and take her home to meet Christ and all those who have gone before. So I know that where she is going is amazing, beautiful and something we can hardly imagine but it still doesn't remove the pain that we're going to experience when she travels on to Heaven. So for the moment, I'm focused on Miss Dixie and I thought I would do some reminiscing on the blog of her.....
Dixie and little Libby Lou, her first BFF in Atlanta.
Dixie and Charlee after a summer bath.
She loves Charlee but sometimes I think he drives her nuts.
At her favorite place in the whole world- my grandparents farm in Kentucky. The beautiful bluegrass. How could you not love Mamaw & Papaw's? Acres of farm land, cows, a pool and best of all Mamaw's home cooking.
Daisy and Dixie. Daisy loves Miss Dixie.
A Georgia girl at heart.
Dixie and Bella when Molly & Bella came up from Boca Raton to visit us. Molly is one of my best friends that I went through Rush with at UK and we are still close.
Dixie in the car after a 5K run/walk.
Dixie's first visit home to Bardstown, Kentucky. Mom, Dixie and I with my Dad eating a frosty in the back.
Lacy and Dixie. Lacy was a pit bull my ex and I rescued from a horrific abuse case. Dixie loved everyone. She was no respecter of persons.
Fourth of July at the beach...
The three amigos...
On a visit home to visit my Nana. How could you not love Nana? She's the best.
Daisy is going to be lost when Dixie leaves us.
After a busy Christmas morning in Kentucky. Time for a nap...
It snowed in Atlanta...Craziness!! This was Dixie's first snow...
At the beach....Let's just say she wasn't a fan.....
I love you so much Dixie girl.
"The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade at your right hand." Psalm 121:5















1 comment:
From the mom - it is so hard to watch our beloved 4-legged family members get old - I have done that a few times before and I am doing it now. My oldest Beagle, Shiloh, will turn 10 in a week. He still has his playtimes each day but they don't last long. He has been a part of my family since he was 8 weeks old so there have been many changes over the years.
A few years ago he was diagnosed with Intervertebral Disk Disease but luckily has not had to have surgery but there have been 3 or 4 times when it has flared up - the first was at around age 3 and the last two times has been within the last 2 years - so the flare-ups are becoming more frequent. It is so very hard to watch when this happens.
I know larger dogs have more problems with back, joint problems and arthritis but sometimes your vet can help ease the pain. I have also found a supplement that helps and no, I am NOT in any way related to anyone who makes this - a fellow Beagle owner has shared thus info with me - Shiloh is benefitting from it and I am just wanting to share it with others; which I have done with another blogger who also shared it with a friend of hers with a German Shepherd who was having serious back problems - they are having really good success with it and have found other uses for it as well. It is called Duralactin
http://www.duralactin.com/products_canine.htm
Most vets have not heard of it but the one Beagle owner who told me about it had also told other Beagle owners and they were all singing it's praises.
I am so sorry Dixie is having these problems - there are also special beds for dogs with arthritic problems - I know none of this will "fix" what growing old does to the body but maybe they might help Dixie feel a little better for whatever time she will remain with you.
Mom Kim
Post a Comment