HTML Map

Friday, June 14, 2013

Early Father's Day Post....

 
I love this picture of my Dad. It's the classic image I remember of him growing up in the late 80's through early 90's. He wore the large glasses and reminded me of Chevy Chase or Clark if you're familiar with all the National Lampoons Vacation movies. I can remember seeing him at the end of the pool when I was coming towards the finish line at the country club during swim meets with those large glasses on and a cocktail in his hand cheering me on. I wish I had more pictures from those early years to post but they're all in Kentucky. Maybe I'll do a follow up post next time I come back from KY.
 
I am blessed to have 2 wonderful parents even though they divorced when I was a teenager. My Mom is amazing and my Dad is great! My Mom and I were always close as she stayed home with me growing up and we always talked daily even in college. My mom was the one who took me to swim team practices in the summer and gymnastics and cheerleading throughout the year. She's a wonderful mother and I love her dearly.
 
My Dad and I hit quite the rock when the divorce occurred and as I grew up I never really recovered from the divorce and the relationship disintegrated. It's something subconsciously that I don't think I was aware of but was affecting me especially in the area of relationships. Divorce is hard and not something you wish on anyone but sometimes it does happen. Within the last couple of years all of those fences have mended and what I've learned is that the bitterness you hold on to is like a forest that sets fire and never really stops until you forgive and move on and I was always running to escape it quite literally.  Everyone makes mistakes in life and heaven knows I've made my share!
 
What I love about my Dad is that he's always concerned with helping the less fortunate. When people came into his firm who didn't have a dime but needed real help, he was there and wouldn't charge them a cent and for Christmas when we're attempting to figure out what he wants, he always tells us to donate to the Salvation Army instead of gifts. He understands the true value of money and the fact we can't take it when we go. This is something I'm still struggling to grasp as I like that dollar a bit too much!
 
I'm thrilled to have that relationship back with my Dad that I had as a little girl.
 
I love you, Dad!
 
 
 
 
My Dad + all my aunts + Wade + Nana
 

The Batman suit. He's had this suit since I was a little girl and my cousin Mason and I would go trick-or-treating. My Aunt Ann's cats would growl because they assumed it was quite real and they thought the Batman was going to take them. Do you remember this Ann?  

 
 


Cheers to you, Dad! 

No comments: